Epis (Spice mix) – Ok Haiti
Skill Level: Easy
Portions: 1 batch
It is a blend of onions, scallions, garlic, parsley, bell peppers, and other spices. (My little secret is that I added basil and thyme leaves to to bring more freshness and taste to the epis). This recipe is for a big batch so you can keep the rest in the refrigerator
Ingredients for Epis (Spice mix):
- 1 small onion
- 6 scallions
- 6 garlic cloves
- 1/cup roughly chopped parsley
- 10 basil leaves
- 20 thyme leaves
- ½ a green pepper
- ½ red pepper
- ½ yellow pepper
- 1/2 cup olive or canola oil
- 2 Maggie cubs
- Thoroughly wash, chop, and dice every vegetable ingredient into a large container.
- Add them into food processor and Mix on High. (You may also use a blender).
- While the ingredients are blending, pour in the oil and the Maggie cubs.
- Blend it adding regularly the strain water.
- Once your seasoning reaches a smooth consistent texture, stop the Blender or Food Processor and pour the content into jar or plastic container.
- This can be used as your base for most of your savory dishes and especially for seasoning meats and fish.