Gerard Valcin was born in 1924 in Port-au-Prince. His father was an artist who started Valcin painting in 1946. Valcin worked as a tile-setter until he joined the Centre d’Art in 1959.
He is credited with bringing his half-brother Pierre-Joseph Valcin to the Centre in the early 1960’s.
He had only three years of schooling. And, like many of his colleagues, he began painting from his rich spiritual imagination — influenced by country life as well as a blending of vodou and Masonic Masonry.
His works reflect the Haitian rural reality, which is consisting mostly of scenes of the country wedding, religious ceremony in which he defused the rhythm of drums. No other Haitian artist has brought out the voice of the drum, so essential to Haitian life, as consistently and convincingly as he has.
He earned a living as a tile setter before taking up painting, encouraged by a group of artist friends. He, like a number of the other painters his age, was encouraged by Dewitt Peters who in the 1940’s, 50’s and 60s established the Centre d’Arte in Port-au-Prince, to nurture and sell the works of Haiti’s indigenous and largely untrained talent.
He died May 15, 1988. His work is included in the permanent collections of the Musee d’Art Haitien du college saint Pierre in port-au-Prince, the Milwaukee Museum of Art, and the Waterloo (Iowa) Museum of Art. His paintings can be hardly found on the market today and are treasured by serious collectors of Haitian art.
Source: Indigo Arts, Wikipedia, Haitien online, Haitianna