Skill Level: Easy
Course: Dinner, Lunch
Black bean puree or sauce is usually served over rice or cornmeal and some people (like me) just eat it alone as a black bean soup. It’s so delicious!
Ingredients for Sòs Pwa Nwa (Black beans sauce):
- 2 cups or 16oz. of dry black beans
- 10-14 cups of water
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 sprigs of scallion
- 2 sprigs of thyme
- 1 Maggie bouillon
- 1/8 tsp clove powder (if you like it)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 spoon of Parmesan cheese
- 1 scotch bonnet/hot pepper (optional)
- In a big pot add the dry black beans, garlic cloves, scallion and 1 thyme. Boil it for 1 hour or until tender.(Add water if needed)
- Strain the water into another container for later use.
- Add the beans and the other ingredients to a blender with some of the strain water and 1 Maggie bouillon.
- Blend it adding regularly the strain water.
- Once it’s blended, put the puree into a net colander and drain everything into a pot. With a wood spoon move the puree to rinse all the water.
- Once all the puree went through the colander, put the pot to boil.
- Add a pinch of salt, the scotch bonnet pepper and 1 thyme . (A little secret, I use 1 spoon of Parmesan cheese to add thickness and flavor to the sauce)
- Cover the pot and steam the sauce for 15 min.
- Serve with white rice or drink it as a soup.