Skill Level: Medium
Portions: 6 Portions
Tasso is beef or goat meat cut into cubes/pieces while griot is pork meat, marinated and deep fried. Tasso or Griot are very similar and a very popular dish. Is best paired with bannan peze (fried plantain) or pikliz with diri ak pwa (beans and rice).
Ingredients for Tasso/Griot (fried beef/goat.pork):
- 1.5 lb of beef or goat or Pork
- 1 hot pepper
- 1 tsp of parsley
- 1 tsp of garlic powder
- 1 tsp of thyme
- 1/2 tsp of rosemary
- 1 tsp of Adobo or seasoning salt
- 2 tsp of Epis (Spice mix)
- 1 lime
- 1 orange
- Cut the meat into medium pieces.
- Wash thoroughly with the lime and/or sour orange juice.
- Season well with Adobo seasoning salt, rosemary, thyme, parsley, garlic powder, pepper, epis and let marinate for the rest of the night.
- In a saucepan, cover meat with water and boil over medium-high heat until water evaporates.
- Stirring occasionally, continue to cook until meat is tender. (A little secret, I add a half of spoon of baking soda to the water to soften the meat)
- Remove the meat and set aside.
- In a skillet, heat oil and fry each side of the meat to brown evenly.(Another little secret, I add a half of spoon of epis to the oil while frying the meat, this will enhance the flavor of your Dish)
- Serve hot with bannan peze and/or diri ak pwa.